Updating The Theme
There are three methods to update WordPress themes to the latest version. These updates are essential for a bug-free website, as we introduce new features and improvements to the theme over time.
Some updates may be necessary to ensure the theme is compatible with newer versions of WordPress. Rest assured, there is no risk of losing your settings and pages during the update process.
However, if you have made modifications to the parent theme files, those changes will be lost during the update process. To avoid this, we recommend making all modifications using the Child theme of Docy, which is included with the theme package.
To receive automatic updates for the theme on your WordPress dashboard, you need to register/verify the theme using the Envato purchase code. Simply navigate to the Register/Verify page from the WordPress admin dashboard.
Once you have successfully verified the purchase code, you will receive an update notice for the theme. To check if a new update is available, navigate to Appearance Themes from the WordPress dashboard.
Note: If you do not see an update notice on the Appearance Themes page, click on the Update icon on the top bar to see all available WordPress updates. You will find the Update Available Themes option at the bottom of that page.
Update Using FTP
To update the Docy Theme using your FTP server, please follow the steps shown below.
- Login to your ThemeForest account and go to Downloads Dashboard Downloads .
- Download the theme to your computer.
- Install an FTP program (such as Filezilla, which is free).
- Retrieve your FTP login information from your hosting admin panel and log in to your hosting via FTP.
- Unzip the item’s main file.
- Locate the docly.zip file and unzip it. Ensure that your unzipping software does not create an extra directory with the same name nested inside each other.
- Drag and drop the theme’s main folder into your FTP program, with the destination “YOUR_HOSTING_ROOT/YOUR_SUBDIRECTORY/wp-content/themes/
- The FTP program will give a warning that there is an existing directory with the same name. Choose to replace all.
- It will take between 15 to 30 minutes to replace all files. Once completed, log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to Master Key settings. The theme version, located on the header beside the Master Key logo, will indicate that your theme has been updated to the latest version. We recommend using method one, which takes less than a minute.
Note: You can also upload the new version of the theme to the “YOUR_HOSTING_ROOT/YOUR_SUBDIRECTORY/wp-content/themes/” directory using cPanel File Manager. Make sure to replace the old theme with the new version every time.
Auto Update using Envato WordPress Toolkit
- Go to themeforest.net > Settings > API Keys.
- Generate an API key and store it in a text file as you will need it shortly.
- Now log in to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- From the left sidebar, click on Envato Toolkit (If you have not installed it yet, read the Plugins Installation section of this documentation).
- Type your username and fill in the API key that you just retrieved from themeforest.net, as shown in the screenshot below.
- Save settings.
- Once the page refreshes, you should see the list of themes you have purchased.
- If there is a new version available, you will get the “update automatically” link.
- Once clicked, the theme will be updated to the most recent version.
Update Through WordPress Admin Panel
- Navigate to Appearance Themes and activate another theme to deactivate the current theme.
- Delete the currently installed theme.
- Unzip the file you just downloaded from ThemeForest and locate the WordPress Theme docly.zip.
- Within the Themes section, click on the “Install Themes” tab, then click “Upload” on the second tab.
- Click “Browse…” and locate the new theme file docly.zip.
- Choose “Yes” from the “Upgrade existing theme?” dropdown list.
- Click “Install Now” and then “Activate”.
Please note that before updating a theme, we recommend making a backup of your modified files. Additionally, we recommend deactivating the current version of the theme, uploading the zip file with the new theme version, then activating and updating the theme.
Generally, with every update of the theme, an updated version of the Docly Core plugin is required. You must install that plugin to get all the changes and improvements that we have listed in the version changelogs.
Navigate to Appearance > Install Plugins to check if there are updates available for the plugins. Update the Docly Core plugin from there if an update is available.